How much does a divorce mediation case cost?
In my office, a typical divorce mediation case costs a family about $3,100 to $4,500. It includes spouses discussing and deciding divorce terms with help from a mediator, signing a postnuptial agreement, and getting a Pennsylvania no-fault divorce decree.
Divorce Mediator & Attorney
- Practice limited to mediation divorce since 2012
- 1988 Juris Doctor degree, Dickinson School of Law
- 1988 Attorney & Counsellor at Law, Pennsylvania Bar
- Active attorney license PA52681
- Member of Academy of Professional Family Mediators
- Member of Pennsylvania Council of Mediators
- Member of Association for Conflict Resolution
Divorce mediation costs more when:
- Parents want a child support agreement or child custody agreement,
- Wives and husbands need more than 3-hours of discussions with a mediator, or
- Spouses need court-filing of their agreements.
Even with these services, a mediation divorce tends to cost thousands of dollars less than hiring lawyers to fight over divorce terms.
Divorce mediation fees
In Pennsylvania, most spouses need these services to divorce:
- One 3-hour discussion of divorce terms with a mediator, to make sure all necessary topics have been discussed,
- Drafting of a postnuptial agreement (a legal document that formalizes divorce terms), and
- Filing of a Pennsylvania no-fault divorce pleading (a legal document needed to change marital status).
In my office, fees for the services listed above are about $3,100 to $4,500. Exact divorce mediation fees depend on difficulty of issues, and the services required. A written estimate of fees is provided at the initial consultation with divorce mediator.
52 South Duke St, York PA 17401
Practice limited to
Some spouses may want or need more services. A mediation divorce can include:
- Extensive discussions of divorce issues (two or more 3-hour discussions),
- Drafting of a child support agreement or child custody agreement,
- Filing agreements with a court (child custody order, child support order, QDRO, deed, etc.).
These services are not needed in every case. Necessary services will be discussed at the initial consultation, then listed in a written estimate of divorce mediation fees.
Tips for keeping cost of divorce mediation low
- Communicate with your spouse: The more terms of agreement you work out together, the less time spent in discussions with your mediator—which saves on divorce mediation fees.
- Cooperate with your spouse: Working together is essential for building an out-of-court divorce agreement.
- Avoid threats of fighting in court: Threats can stop progress toward an agreement.
Dann Johns will be able to offer more tips—specific to your case—at an initial consultation with divorce mediator.
Because each divorce mediation case is different, a divorce mediator must meet with both spouses before estimating the cost of their mediation divorce.
Is divorce mediation right for your Pennsylvania divorce?
Consider sharing this website with your spouse. If both of you are interested in divorce mediation, the next step is to schedule a divorce mediation consultation with Dann Johns, Divorce Mediator & Attorney.
- Content updated 2017-09-19
- Copyright © 2010-2017, Dann Johns, All Rights Reserved.